Monday 4 August 2014

Merops apiaster

Recently, I received a text saying there were European Bee-eaters paying us a visit here on the sunny Isle of Wight (we're having a decent summer so far, so I hope it's to their liking) and they were to be found at Wydcombe Manor near Whitwell. I couldn't do anything about it until Friday - I don't work Fridays - so I went over then. I got distant views of the birds in a distant dead tree but nothing photographable, until I paid a return visit today, as we're off work for a week. The Bee-eaters were closer, although sometimes still in the distant dead tree, and I managed to get a few shots approaching acceptable.

I've done nothing to these photos except apply a MASSIVE crop (chucking away a good 90% of the original file). Click to see the full sized photos, which are 100% crops.





It's great that these birds are on National Trust land and the NT have been very organised about getting birders in to see them, with the location signposted off the main road from Niton to Rookley, and a car park available.

2 comments:

  1. Great to see these here Fay.Three individuals I am told.
    The dedication of the volunteers that protect the site from undesirables is to be commended.
    Nice pics and glad you got some good views.Have a successful rest of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Peter. I think they have had their work cut out to protect these fabulous birds and they are doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete